So you have .dmg file you want to burn but you only have Windows machine at home? No Mac? No problem. There an easy solution. But let’s hear my short story about why did I need to burn in on Windows.
I have just sold my beloved iMac G4 17″ to buy a second hand powerbook g4 1 Ghz. What i didn’t realize is that, the powerbook i just bought has no Superdrive. But i thought it would be ok, since i also have a Windows machine PC with DVD writer at home.
Time to burn dmg file
I copied dmg file to my Windows, then i realized that Windows doesn’t recognize dmg file. And no Windows burning software isn’t going to help me burn the dmg file. In other words, in the Windows world, dmg file doesn’t exist. So what you really is a Windows software that recognize dmg file.
So, i googled around and i am glad i did. And the solution is Transmac. Very old school looking software but it works.
You also might find MacDrive easier too. Macdrive will let you mount your mac hard disk format on Windows like its own format and of course, write it. But I haven’t tried it myself though. But I heard it’s great for mounting Mac disk drive on Windows.
How to burn dmg with Transmac
With Transmac for Windows, dmg file can be read & burn like Disk Utility that comes with OS X. Transmac lets you mount dmg file, expand then burn image dmg file to DVD, CD and DL DVD (before you can burn you need to expand compressed dmg file first).
Now i can even back up my snow leopard on Bootable DVD. You can download a 15 days trial version of Transmac here. After you try it, i am sure you will want to buy it. Transmac was surely a great spend for me in a long time.
Also, some people say PowerISO will let you write dmg image files too, but I just don’t like its usability and the interface.
- Read and write or burn Mac format disks, CDs, DVDs, high density floppies and disk images (dmg and sparseimage).
- Supports standard HFS (Mac OS Standard), HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) and HFSX (with case sensitive file names) volumes.
- Access Mac volumes on boot drive (like Boot Camp).
- Create, read and write Mac disk images (dmg and sparseimage).
- Compress and expand (convert to iso) dmg files.
- Built in burner software to create Mac format CDs and DVDs (including dual-layer).
- Burn ISO and dmg files to CD/DVD.
- Format disks for use on Mac.
- Read Mac multisession and hybrid CDs.